Saturday, June 22, 2013

Gardening!

For as long as I can remember, my mom has had a garden just about every summer. One year, she made us a little "house" out of sunflowers with a roof of morning glory flowers. I've never been a big fan of gardening, it seemed like a lot of work and weeding. For some reason though, this summer I've been wanting to grow some plants. I mentioned this to a friend in my Relief Society and she surprised me by giving me an extra baby basil plant that she had. It's been so fun taking care of my little "garden", watering it and bringing it outside everyday into the sun. Next year, I'm definitely going to do a full pot garden and I'm SO excited. Here's what I'm planning on growing...


This is probably what I'm most excited about! I love strawberries and this type of strawberry also has really pretty flowers. I don't think it gets better than that :) I'm thinking of growing it in a window box.


I definitely want to do an herb garden since I love cooking with fresh herbs. I want to have basil, chive and cilantro.


Peonies are so pretty and remind me of fluffy roses.  My mom has some that she dug up from her great uncle's home and they're still doing great. Talk about a family tree, these are family peonies since they've been around for generations. I've read that they can be grown in large containers, hopefully I can get them to grow and then come back year after year.

Other things I'm thinking about growing are lettuce, pansies and green beans. I just love the thought of being able to pick my own fresh produce and enjoy it for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment