Sunday, June 2, 2013

91st Birthday!


Happy Birthday to my sweet Grandmother! I hope I look half as good as her when I'm 91 years old. Last summer, I stayed as her aide, and I wanted to write down some of the cute, funny things she said so I can remember them!

*When I went to see her one evening, I was surprised to see her in the movie room. The movie Casablanca was playing, and she had fallen asleep watching it. When she woke up a few minutes later, I said "Hi Grandmother, you're watching Casablanca" to which she replied "NO" in a super defensive voice. Then she looked at the screen again for a few seconds and admitted "well, maybe something like it."

*One of my Grandmother's favorite things was for me to tell her stories about when she was younger. Some of them she remembers and adds her memories to, others she does not recall but still enjoys. Once when I was telling her the story about when she took the train down to visit her husband in the military, and he snuck out of his base to see her, I asked her if she remembered it. "No" she replied, "but it sounds like something we would have done!" Another time when I was telling her a story, she said "I think this is why we have children and grandchild, so they can tell us our stories when we forget."

*I was trying to help her sign a birthday card for her daughter in law, Lin, but instead she wrote "Dear Lori, Happy Birthday!" Then she wrote another word I could not read and then "Love, Mother" I asked her about the word and she couldn't read it either and asked for her reading glasses. She put them on and immediately told me the word she wrote was "dictionary." I asked her why she wrote dictionary in a birthday card, and she responded, "because there are a whole dictionary of words between Happy Birthday and Love, Mother."

*One evening, she asked for a cup of tea, so I made her one. Then she asked me to make another cup for her sister Gina (who passed away many years ago). I explained that and said that if Gina were here, I would make her tea, but since she wasn't here with us any more, I wouldn't. My Grandmother replied "well, that's just her tough luck!"

No comments:

Post a Comment