Sunday, June 30, 2013

Swedish Meatballs :)

Swedish meatballs have always been one of my favorite comfort foods, right up there with mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. I always looked forward to when my mom made them, or lately, when she got them from IKEA. When we were engaged, I tried to make them for Dan so he could experience the deliciousness, but they came out horrible! I used turkey for the meatballs and they were bland and a bit mushy, but the worst thing about them was the gravy. It had a strange, bitter flavor and gave Dan a stomach ache. Luckily, when we visited my parents' house during Christmas break, my mom served him IKEA's Swedish meatballs along with the gravy, lingonberries and mashed potatoes and he was able to see that they actually were yummy when done correctly. Last week, my mom sent me a recipe for them that she thought looked really good. I wanted a chance to redeem myself and this looked like a good opportunity. Dan and I made them for Sunday dinner today and they came out SOOO good! Exactly how I remember them and how they are supposed to taste!


We had them with egg noodles, lingonberry sauce and French green beans... and raspberry lemonaid!


Here's a link to the recipe... http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/swedish_meatballs/ the only changes I made were to halve the recipe (since we weren't feeding vikings) and to substitute allspice for cardamom. I could eat these all the time! Next time we make them (which will be soon) we'll try them with mashed potatoes. YUMMMM!!!  

2 comments:

  1. Lol, over here in the UK there has been quite an uproar because apparently we have been eating horse meat for YEARS and the food industry has been passing it off as beef. Apart from some well known frozen products (burgers, lasagna etc), Ikea meatballs were also on the list (here) of horse meat products. Our butchers now have signs saying 'neigh horse meat here' I believe Ikea meatballs are well in decline ;)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missionary Photos Wanted for New LDS BOOK!
    Author Mike Winder is working with Deseret Book-owned Covenant Communications on a missionary photo book that will contain inspiring quotes, scriptures, and thoughts to help inspire young people to serve a mission.
    He is looking for amazing missionary photos from around the world. Do you have any favorite pics that evoke emotion (inspiring, humorous, etc.)? Do you have any photos with your companion in front of temples or iconic images (Big Ben, Golden Gate Bridge, Asian pagodas, etc.)? Do you have any showing missionaries in action (service projects, teaching, tracting, baptizing, etc.)? How about funny missionary pics, ones with the Book of Mormon, with food, with kids, or with animals?
    If so, please email a few of your favorite ones to mike@mikewinder.com by July 31. Images must be at least 1MB in size to be published (low resolution images would be too blurry in print).

    ReplyDelete